6 Food combinations that can be harmful
1) Proteins and carbohydrates or starch – Proteins esp. Red meats should never be eaten with starch or carbohydrates, while it is okay to have white meat with carbohydrates. Mixing proteins and starch in a single meal slows the digestion process.
2) Fruits with other foods – Most fruits do not mix well with vegetables, carbohydrates, other fruits or fats and therefore must be eaten either on an empty stomach or separately from other foods. Sub-acid fruits like apple, apricot, kiwi, grapes, lichee, mango, papaya, peach, pear, plum etc. Have an approximate digestion time of 30-40 minutes. Acid fruits like blackberry, sour grapes, cranberries, cherries, lime, orange, pineapple etc. Have an approx digestion time of 20-30 minutes.
3) Milk and other foods – Milk does not go well with any of the other food types. If it is combined with anything, it slows the process of digestion.
4) Aerated drinks and other foods – Carbonated drinks or their diet counterparts, both are equally harmful, esp. When consumed with your regular meal. Plus, the added baggage of sugar that goes in this can be harmful for our system in the long run.
5) Desserts right after meals – Sweets are tempting right after a meal but it is advisable to space them out and wait for an hour or two before you enjoy the dessert. This is because sweets don’t gel well with other food groups.
6) Alcohol and Dinner ? Alcohol slows the digestion process of food esp. Indian food which is usually greasy. If you cannot avoid it, stick to a glass of wine maybe, preferably red wine. And to take care, you can drink a cup of green tea before and after drinking the wine. The green tea will cleanse your system of the toxins.